Fagaras is the biggest, highest and probably most sought mountain massif in Romania in the summer months, while in winter it becomes a challenge. The range it is not called for nothing the Transylvanian Alps.
This tour opens up for you, in just a couple of days, two of the most beautiful places to be on this mountain:
- The view from one of the highest peaks of Romania, Vanatoarea lui Buteanu (2507m). Given its slightly lateral Northern position from the main ridge you can enjoy vast landscapes in all directions, not least the view in the distance of Romania’s two highest peaks, Moldoveanu (2544m) and Negoiu (2535m).
- The canyon called Valea lui Stan (Stan’s Valley). You just cannot enjoy too much this narrow canyon with huge walls and lots of waterfalls. Its climb is secured with metal cables and ladders which makes it all the more interesting.
Additionally, this tour will take us through:
- “the most beautiful road in the world”, Transfagarasan, as it was called a couple years ago by the Top Gear TV series;
- the most spectacular and highest dam in Romania, built on the river Arges.
- Curtea de Arges, a beautiful mountain small city which use to be a capital city for the early medieval kingdom predecessor to modern Romania. We will visit the beautiful orthodox monastery where the German kings of Romania are buried.
|DEPARTURE TIME||6.00 in Bucharest the 1st day|
|ARRIVAL TIME||20.00 in Bucharest the 2nd day|
|Estimated duration of hike||6-7 hours the 1st day; 5 hours the 2nd day|
|Elevation gained||about 800 m|
|Maximum height||2507 m – Peak Vanatarea lui Buteanu|
|Individual equipment needed||
|Accommodation||We will accommodate ourselves overnight at one of the motels which litter the sides of the Transfagarasan Road.|
|Meals||The first day we will eat dinner at the motel so some sandwiches and a couple of chocolate bars and/or biscuits will help during the day. The second day we will eat lunch at one of the restaurants along the way.|
|INCLUDED|| Transport from and to Bucharest by car
1 night accommodation
1 Dinner, 1 Breakfast and 1 Lunch
Professional Mountain Guide
|NOT INCLUDED|| Other meals
Pieces of individual equipment
|Discount policy||For group bookings we apply a discount based on the number of the participants. Please book the tour and/or contact us to negotiate the discount.|
Other good to know issues:
- Water is not a problem along the route.
- This tour is available also for the winter months but implies a higher level of difficulty and specific winter mountaineering equipment.
We depart from Bucharest at 6.00 in the morning and head, by car, towards West passing by the city of Pitesti and then Curtea de Arges. Half an hour after Curtea de Arges we will be on “the most beautiful road in the world” and soon on the most spectacular dam in Romania. We must stop to see it, the vertical drop is huge.
We continue on this road (opened only from June to September) getting dizzy from time to time because of the sudden steep bends of the road and passing through 1Km tunnel we end up on the North side of the mountain at Balea glacier lake.
This is the spot where we leave the car(s) and start hiking. In less than two hours, putting some effort into it and paying attention to the trail, we will be on one of the highest and spectacular peaks of Romania, Vanatoarea lui Buteanu.
From the top we get to see just below us, both on the Southern and Northern side the twisted road that we came on, the wonderful glacier lake of Capra. In the distance both West and East, unnumbered peaks and ridges make the eye stop and wonder.
We descend to the Capra Lake another place to sit on the grass and just enjoy being there. We continue to the South and finally reach the Transfagarasan road on its Southern side. We return through the tunnel to pick up the car and accommodate ourselves for the night.
We get up early, have breakfast and by 9.00 head back by car to the South from where we came the day before.
Just after we will pass the dam, we start the hike of the second day. This could not be more different than the one you did the day before. We slowly gain height following the river until the trail forces us to the steep banks and then it all starts: the first waterfalls and ladders and bridges come into view. Be prepared with the camera while paying attention where you put your feet on. You will want to take pictures at every corner.
And it goes like this, for about more than an hour. We might even need to pass through the water at some points along the route.
Finally, we feel sorry for actually finishing the canyon route. The remaining route takes us back in an arch to the dam lake and then, by following the road, to the cars.
On the return way, we will stop in Curtea de Arges to visit the orthodox monastery, which is one of the cultural and historical hallmarks of Romania.
We estimate to arrive in Bucharest by 20.00-21.00, depending on the traffic.